Kali Linux is a security distribution available for Linux Operating System. It is a Debian-based Linux distribution and has been specially designed for computers, network analysts and penetration testers. It contains several tools that focus mainly on penetration testing, reverse engineering, and security research, unlike Backtrack which had multiple tools. The first renewal of Kali Linux was 1.0.0 which was introduced in March 2013 since then it is being used widely mainly by hackers and penetration testers.
There is an Installation guide for installing kali linux on to windows 10 OS, at the end of the post.
Who Uses Kali Linux?
It is being used by both good and bad individuals. While one prevents security breaches, the other identifies and exploits security breaches. Thus, professionals that use Kali Linux are:
- Security Administrators – They are responsible to keep their institution’s data safe. Thus, they use Kali Linux to review their environment and ensure there are no discoverable vulnerabilities.
- Network Administrators – These people maintain the efficiency and security of networks and Kali Linux is used to audit the network.
- Network Architects – They design a secure network environment for work. Kali Linux is used by them for the audit of their networks and make sure there is no error.
- Pen Testers – These utilize Kali Linux to audit the environment conduct an examination of the corporate environments which are hired for review.
- White Hat Hackers – They are similar to Pen Testers. They audit and discover unprotected information.
- Black Hat Hackers – They use Kali Linux for discovering and exploiting unprotected data. Alongside, it is also being used for many social engineering applications.
- Grey Hat Hackers – These come between White and Black Hat Hackers. They use Kali Linux for the same purposes as mentioned above.
- Chief Information Security Officers [CISO] – They use Kali Linux for internal audit of the environment and uncover new applications.
- Forensic Engineers – Kali Linux consists of a “Forensic Mode” that allows an Engineer to execute data discovery and recovery.
- Computer Enthusiasts – Very general term that indicates people interested in learning more about computers and networking and also can use Kali Linux to learn about IT and common vulnerabilities.
Why Is Kali Linux Being Used Over Windows?
Now, knowing that majority of them use Kali Linux, let’s get on to why is it so much preferred. There are a wide range of reasons that are listed down.
- It was and will always be free to use.
- It comes with over 600 different penetration testing and security analytics related tools.
- Being a member of the Linux family, it follows an open-source model.
- Though the tools are written in English, Kali Linux supports multiple languages which allows the users to operate it.
- Developers at the offensive security understood that a particular design or model cannot be understood by everyone, and thus, It could be customized as per the users liking.
How To Download Kali Linux On Your Windows 10 ?
With such ease of use, all of those geeky people would love to have. So, here’s the installation guide of how you could install Kali Linux on your Windows 10. [ Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ACH5wRu0qc ]
- Step1 – Open Windows PowerShell and run it as an administrator.
- Step 2 – Now, type the following commands.
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart
- Step 3 – After entering the code, restart your PC.
- Step 4 – After restarting, clink onto the link to download and install the linux kernal update package.
- Step 5 – Again open PowerShell and type the command “wsl –set-default-version 2.”
- Step 6 – Now, open the Microsoft Store and download Kali Linux and launch it. Later, set the username and password that is convenient to you.
- Step 7 – Next, update and upgrade Kali Linux by typing the command “sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y.”
The Kali Linux is now downloaded, installed and updated ! And it’s present right on your Windows 10 PC ![ Refer – https://hackyourtechnology.com/kali-linux-on-win-10/ ]
If you are Pen Tester or hacker, Linux is a best suite for you. Great things can be achieved with this open source OS. Therefore, this brings us to the end of the article. Hope you’ve got the entire information you needed to know. For more information, you can read up our other cyber security blogs and can also check out the official website of Kali Linux.